Sunday, August 21, 2011

Jacob Update

I want to give an update on Jacob. It's been a while and he is learning so much!

Jacob had his first test in preschool last week. I was so surprised! Then again I shouldn't have been because he surprises me every day. He did really well in all the categories, except letters and shapes. Honestly I think he got tired of the game. He had to draw a picture of a person with at least 3 body parts and this is what he drew:



I was so shocked! Shoot, I can't draw a stick man. I tried to get him to repeat his drawing skills at home...no such luck. We will be working more on his letters. Dustin was showing him letters in the tub yesterday and when he showed him "J", he said "Jacob", when he showed him "C" he said "Co Co" (that's his daycare teacher). When he showed him "A" he said "Apple" so he knows what the letters stand for, he just won't say the name of the letter.

Jacob knows his colors, he loves to find me flowers everywhere and tell me the colors. He has become a back seat driver telling me "MOMMY STOP!" when he sees a red light (even if it is 2 miles away still). He blows on the lights until they turn green and tells me "I did it!" (This is from an old Whoopee Goldberg movie, I can't remember the name).

"LOOK AT ME MOMMY!" This is what I hear constantly these days. Sometimes he wants me to watch him chew, or blink, or spin in a circle, or stand there doing nothing. Goofy kid. 3 is an age of recognition for sure.

Jacob LOVES to sing. His favorite right now is I Am a Child of God. But he still loves Twinkle, Twinkle and the ABC's. He also makes up his own songs. He sings songs about his name, and my name, and daddy and grandma. He tells me "Mommy, I like that song!" all the time. Especially if it's Disney music. Cracks me up!

Things we are working on:
-Not throwing toys
-Eating what has been made for you...no you can't eat little smokies for every meal.
-Using your quiet voice. Not yelling at mommy.
-Establishing a routine at home. He gets a good routine at daycare, but we aren't as structured at home
-Limiting movie watching
-Potty training. This has been a long hard road for me. I wanted so badly to train Jacob early and fast. I've had to learn the hard way that it doesn't always work that way. Jacob will have a great week and I'll think "Finally! He's got it!" and then he won't want to have anything to do with it and we'll be back in pull ups. In June we went to Cali and we decided not to do any potty training with him while traveling. He wasn't doing all that great at home and I didn't want to push him on the trip. Go figure the kid WANTS to go while we are traveling. We get home and he keeps his pull ups dry and not his undies. Well that was only a few weeks and now he's back to not wanting anything to do with the potty. It wasn't until I decided that it didn't matter, he can wear diapers his whole life if he wants that the stress of potty training left me. Sometimes he goes, sometimes he doesn't. I still ask him, but I don't push him on it. I draw the line when he refuses to wear his pull ups. It's either potty or pull ups. He usually chooses the pull ups, but oh well. I get frustrated when I see other moms with kids the same age or younger doing so well with potty training, but I have to remind myself that every situation is different. I am a working mom, I only have a few hours with my son every day and so I have to be more flexible with him. His daycare is trying to work with him, but they have other kids too, they can't spend as much time with Jacob one on one. I had hoped that I could have him out of diapers before the baby is born, but I see now that that might not happen and I'm not stressing over it. Who knows? maybe next week he'll be different. Enough of that rambling!!

On a more positive note, Jacob is a snuggler. I love this about him. He will tell me "Mommy, I want to snuggle you" and I'm ok with that. I have to remind him to not elbow me in the tummy, but I love these snuggle times. He doesn't like to snuggle Daddy as much, but he will. I'm sure this is because Daddy doesn't have a giant pillow attached to his front. Jacob tells me every day "Mommy, I like you" or "Mommy I love you too" and I cherish these moments with him.

Jacob loves to be outside. Playing ball, swinging, running, swimming, ANYTHING outside. Riding on the Rhino or 4 wheeler. He's not a fan of sweets, unless it's a Popsicle. He loves any kind of sausage, which is just plain weird. Jacob also loves to go to the doctor. From what I've heard from other parents, this is unusual as well. Most kids associate the doctor with pain because they are always getting shots, but not my boy. He loves it. He gets all excited to go and he is wound up the whole time we are there. In fact if I tell him too early that we are going, he gets mad at me and wants to go NOW! He points at the doctor's office and the hospital every time we drive by. Beats me why he loves it so much, but he does.

I could go on all day about my Jacob. This post is already way too long. He makes me laugh, cry, angry, happy and gives me more joy than I could ever have imagined. He loves all of his family so much and he lights up when he sees them. He prays for them every night and even when he drives me crazy, is sweeter than pie.

Here are some pictures from the 4th of July this year.







No comments: