I had a really good experience tonight that I want to share. Normally, I'm not all that into Visiting Teaching. I can't ever seem to remember to actually do and do it each month. I feel guilty about that, but oh well. I never feel bad when my own visiting teachers forget to call or come over. Anyway, on with the point. Well, a little background first.
I've never really liked my ward. The people are nice and everything, but I don't feel very welcome when I'm there. After 2 years, I still hardly know anyone. I feel like an outcast. I try not to dwell on it much, but there it is. At times, I have been quite upset. Other times, I blame myself. I'm just not an outgoing type of person. I am in a young ward. Most of the women in Relief Society are either pregnant or have an infant on their laps. I really think that the people in my ward (myself included) are just so stuck in their own lives, that we don't have time for any one else. Anyway, so back to my experience.
My visiting teacher came by tonight and we chatted for a long time. We have sons only days apart in age. We have the same calling. Both of our hubbys are still in school for a while. She stays home, I work. We get along pretty well. We always chat for a long time and I enjoy that. Anyway, I don't know how it came up, but I mentioned the fact that I don't feel close to many people in the ward. It's really just her and maybe one other sister. There are plenty of people I like, I just don't know them very well. It's not like I'd call them if I ever really DID need something. When I told her this, Erica says "I am SO glad you said that! I feel the same way!" We then talked about this for another 1/2 hour or so. We talked about how we don't even want to go to church sometimes because of this feeling. I was so amazed that just opening up a little made such a difference to both of us. We have both been struggling with this for a long time. We barely discussed the lesson, but I came away feeling like I had just discovered the true purpose of visiting teaching. Sometimes we need these "girl talks" and I can't help but wonder if I can do the same thing for the girls I teach. I now know that someone else feels the same way I do and maybe I can help her feel more loved while she helps me. I'm not usually so long winded about these things, but I really felt something tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment