Thursday, September 16, 2010

Cakes and More!

I've been doing a lot expanding this summer of my cooking experiences. I've been working more with fondant and getting better at it every time. I made this baby shower cake for a friend of mine.






This cake I made just this past weekend for my Grandma's 75th birthday party! I used it as a practice cake because my friend has asked me to do her WEDDING cake in October! I am super excited and just a tad nervous. I plan to do at least 1 more practice cake before I do her wedding cake.






Another project I've been working on this summer is learning how to use my steam canner. Dustin and I got all of these plums from my brother's tree and made 3 batches of Plum Spice jam. My ward did a class on canning and I learned a ton about how to actually use the canner and make the jam. We first tried a batch without using pectin and that turned out really good. Then I wanted to make a batch with pectin and see which one I liked more. Pectin won HANDS DOWN. It was faster, easier and tasted more like jam. We added cinnamon to our recipe and really loved it. We haven't really made anything else that we could can, but we learned a ton doing this jam project!

No comments: